Success StoriesLakewood Health System
Category: Success Stories
Lakewood Health System is an independent, integrated rural healthcare system. Founded in 1936 and located in the city of Staples, we are a recognized leader in providing innovative, patient-based care including women’s specialty services, senior services, surgical and outreach care. Comprised of a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital and primary care clinics in Staples, Browerville, Eagle Bend, Motley and Pillager, we are your home for healthcare.
Expansion Update – February, 2017
Staples clinic is on schedule. The south walls of the clinic will be breached in the next month, which take approximately two weeks to complete. Once a timeline has been established, the Women’s Health area will need to be vacated. The preparation for the chiller began February 13th, and three offices have been vacated in the Administration/HR area to accommodate the installation. Installation of the pipes for the new chiller began February 23rd in the employee hallway, which does not impact office space, but will impact passage in the hallway. The schedule for the install in office space started February 27th for zone 1, which includes the boardroom, IT training room, diabetes consult room and diabetes office area to the mechanical room. The timeline for this install is approximately 15 days. These spaces will need to be vacated during this time. Two compressors will need to be moved into the current boiler room to connect to the chillers. Those compressors will affect the cooler and freezer of the kitchen. Refrigeration units will be brought in for cold food storage near the leading dock area. The steel work on the emergency department (ED) began the week of February 13th in order to catch up from the MN Department of Labor and Industry review delay. The brick demo on the outside of the ED started February 13th. Structural steel will begin to be installed through the end of March. There will be piping which will need to be done in the ED in the upcoming month that will disrupt the ED workflow and patient care. The Pillager clinic project started back up on February 20th. Structural steel and trailers showed up the week of February 13th. The framing of exterior walls will take approximately two weeks. There will be some demo for the truss tails and shingle removal.
Expansion Update – June, 2017
Construction crews have been hard at work, and we’re seeing a lot of progress being made on all three expansion and remodeling projects. Two of the projects are nearing completion, and the third is rolling along. Keep reading for updates on the specific projects.
- Structural steel is complete, except for the canopy portion of the new clinic entrance.
- Exterior wall framing and sheathing is completed, and exterior masonry began on June 22nd.
- Roofing will begin the week of June 25th, and it will be completed by July 7th.
- 87 new parking spaces will be open for customer parking, starting the week of June 25th. The new spaces will be wider than current spaces to allow for more maneuverability.
- Soffit framing will be completed by June 23rd.
- Drywall and taping is completed.
- Painting and wall covering will start June 26th.
- Windows are being installed, doors are on-site, but won’t be installed until flooring is in.
- Final inspection is projected for July 25th – 31st, with move in August 1st – 8th.
- Original move in date of July 24th is delayed three weeks due to doors being backordered.
- The space will be completed, but it cannot be occupied until the doors are installed. This puts the move to August 20th.
- The parking lot will soon be open for customer parking.
- Tile and flooring are being installed the week of June 25th, and will be completed by the end of the following week.
- Casework install will begin the week of June 25th, with completion the week of July 14th.