Todd County was established by the Minnesota Territorial Legislature in February of 1856. It extended east to the Mississippi River. Fort Ripley was in the original county. Young John Baines Smith Todd was in command of the Fort at that time. In keeping with the custom of the times, counties were named for prominent people, and Captain Todd lent his name to the county.